Tuesday, 22 April 2014

Not The Best Experience with Drugstore Lip Crayons: RIMMEL (Lasting Finish Colour Rush), REVLON (Colorburst Lacquer Balm) and BARRY M (Gelly Lips)

 Hey everyone,
 
Last week I decided to go into Boots and pick up some new bits to try. I’ve seen to many reviews about the Revlon Colorburst Lacquer Balms, I knew I wanted to pick one of them up, so thought I would try three different lip crayons and compare the three.

Although I don't like writing negative reviews, none of these lip crayons worked for me, but I have seen them work perfectly well for others!
 
I decided on the Revlon Colorburst Lacquer Balm in '105 Demure' which is a nude peachy shade, Rimmel Lasting Finish Colour Rush in '100 Give me a Cuddle' an everyday pink and Barry M's Gelly Lips in 'GSL 5 - Capella' a deeper blue toned pink. I tried to go for shades suitable for everyday wear.
 
DSCF9447
DSCF9545
 
Left to Right: Revlon Colorburst Lacquer Balm in Demure, Rimmel Lasting Finish Colour Rush in Give me a Cuddle and Barry M Gelly Lips in Capella.
 
DSCF9482
DSCF9483DSCF9496
 
Revlon Colorburst Lacquer Balm in Demure (£7.99)
 
In my local Boots, there was only four shades to choose from, I chose Demure because the other three shades were far too vibrant. Demure is a peach-toned nude with a hint of shimmer running through it. On application it is extremely sheer and doesn't really do anything for my lips. It just washed out the natural colour of my lips and other than that all it did was made them look slightly glossy. It seems to settle into every line/crack, my lips aren't visibly lined at all really but in these pictures and in real life it made them look extremely lined and just not very nice.  Also, it does cling to dry patches, not majorly but it definitely seems to highlight any problem areas.
 
This definitely isn't the lip crayon for me, I just found it quite boring really. Maybe the other shades in this collection are better, but I just didn't like the formula. It wasn't hydrating and didn't feel nice on the lips.
 
DSCF9490
DSCF9493
DSCF9516
 
Rimmel Lasting Finish Colour Rush in Give me a Cuddle (£5.99)
 
I chose this delicate everyday pink thinking it would be perfect for daytime use. On application it is quite a lot darker than I was expecting, it is a really pretty colour actually and is nicely pigmented. But, again, it settles into lines (I didn't know I had) and clings to every bit of dry skin. Prior to applying this lip cryon and the others, I had exfoliated my lips and applied Reve de Miel lip balm, and they didn't look dry at all before I applied this. It doesn't have a smooth finish, and although its hydrating, it does look patchy where it is darker in places from clinging to any patches/lines.
 
Another lip crayon, that just isn't for me! You can see in the pictures, how it has settled into the lines but it doesn't show just how bad it actually looked in real life. Although it wasn't awful, I know I won't be wearing this in a hurry.
 
DSCF9471DSCF9473
 
image (1)

Barry M Gelly Lips in Capella (£4.99)

Last and definitely least, is this one, the Barry M Gelly Lips. As you can see from the picture above it clings to absolutely everything, considering my lips aren't dry at the moment, imagine if they were! It makes them look so cracked and lined and just doesn't have a smooth finish at all. This formula is extremely thick and just reminds me of a cakey concealer, clinging to everything and anything it can! This lip crayon also had an almost chemically scent/taste, not very nice at all.

I decided to include a picture of my natural, bare lips just to show you that they're not dry (at the moment) or insanely lined. Its just the lip crayons that seem to have made them look really gross!
 
image (2)

So, I'm not impressed at all with any of these lip crayons. I have other lip crayons at home that are perfectly fine, so its definitely just the formula of these particular ones that didn't work for me!

Thanks for reading!

Have you tried any of these lip crayons before?

Emily :) x
 
 

6 comments:

  1. I haven't tried lip crayons but I have a feeling it might not work as well with my lips too cause mine's forever chapped apart from the summer. Have you tried the revlon suedes? It's similar to the lip crayons as well. It's buttery when you apply it on, then they end up abit drying on lips but I think it's cause they tint your lips. :)

    Check out my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, so many lip products just refuse to work on my lips :( I haven't tried those! xxx

      Delete
  2. I have tried the revlon and rimmel ones and they actually worked pretty well on me. My favorite formula is the Bourjois crayons.

    katespitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they worked for you, wish they worked for me too :( I will definitely have to give the Bourjois crayons a go! xxx

      Delete
  3. I haven't tried those, but thanks for the warning! Lol.
    www.ChicAndAlluring.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's ok! They may work for you, but they just weren't for me at all! xxx

      Delete