Thursday, 22 August 2013

Review: Illamasqua Illuminator in 'Slay'

Hey everyone,
 
In Illasmaqua's recent sale, I got lots of goodies, I think the quality of Illamasqua's product are exceptional and I love the amazing range of cosmetics they stock, there's always something I'm lusting after! So when the sales kick in, I go into crazy lady mode, I still need to post my Illamasqua haul, I'll try and get it up this/next week.
 
Something that stood out in my recent Illamasqua sale buys was an Illuminator I bought in the shade 'Slay', for the bargain price of £5, but the regular price of £13.50 is still very reasonable in my opinion!
 
I've been experimenting with highlighting and contouring lately, I do have the YSL Touche Eclat, but I don't find the effect to be that amazing, maybe I'm just doing it wrong? But this illuminator works perfectly to draw in light to fall on the high points of your face, it really does make a huge difference to your face.

Something I am desperate for is a good contour powder/bronzer. Can anyone recommend a good product for heavy contouring? I have plenty of bronzers that do a good job with a light contour, but after I've buffed it all in and blended it to look natural, its barely noticeable. I'm looking for something that will really make my cheek bones much more prominent, yet still look natural, am I asking too much?
 
I have just found out from looking at the price, this has actually been discontinued, which I am so disappointed about, but I think they will be bringing it back, because at the beginning of the year, there was a shade identical to this one, which has since been discontinued, called Odyssey. They seem to have discontinued the whole previous range of Illuminators, and now this range, so I am assuming they will bring out new shades/old shades under different names soon? I hope so, anyway because I don't want to rave about a product and it not be available to you guys.
 
 
So, the packaging is very simple, I like that you can see the colour of the product in the tube (not sure if you would describe it as a tube, actually) and the applicator is a brush, which works amazingly well.
 
The colour of this highligher is a pearly white with a slightly shimmery finish. The only complaint I have is that it dries pretty quickly which can make blending sometimes a bit difficult, but it's usually fine. I use this product under my eyes at the highest point of my cheek bones, the arch under my eyebrows and also to highlight my cupid's bow. It works amazingly and gives such a nice sheen that catches the light beautifully.



Here's a swatch of how it comes out before you blend the product, as you can see, it is highly pigmented before blending.
 
 
Why do all my photos turn upside down?! This is the swatch blended out, you can really see the pearly sheen to my skin.
 
I think Illamasqua's Gleam in Aurora does also give a very similar effect from looking at other blog posts, so that is definitely something I am looking into getting.
 
Illamasqua are an amazing brand, definitely one of my favourites, the prices are relatively reasonable, they always have free postage on their website, amazing sales and a great loyalty scheme that enables you to get 10% off all full priced items forever after you have made three orders on their website.
 
Thanks for reading!
 
Have you tried any Illamasqua highlighters/illuminators?
 
Emily :) x

15 comments:

  1. No Illamasqua products for me yet :). Have you tried using a dark powder foundation as a contour powder? You might be able to get the effect you want. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Illamasqua products, you should definitely try them out :) No, I haven't, but that is a great idea! :) xxx

      Delete
  2. I havent heard much about these illuminators, i love this one, looks really easy to use! Benefits Hoola is a nice shade for a really good deep contour shade, im really pale so only ever used it when i was going out for the night and it takes a bit of work making sure you don't go over the top with it but its worth it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to use and works amazingly well!
      Thanks so much for the suggestion, I will definitely have to try that one out! :) xxx

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I've nominated you for the Liebster Award! Check it out here! :)
    http://alien-babe.blogspot.com/2013/08/liebster-award-nomination.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Im dyiiiiiiiiing to try out sth of illamasqua!
    i really liked this product, maybe is the chosen one haha
    xoxo
    http://Randommonchi.blogspot.com.ar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Illamasqua is such a great brand, I recommend them so highly! You should definitely try them :D xxx

      Delete
  6. I love Illamasqua really good blog I've followed you now, check out my blog lots of scary pictures on there today xxxx

    Libertylovesmakeup.blogspot.com. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will definitely check out your blog :) xxx

      Delete
  7. Hi,

    I nominated you for a liebster award :) http://thosestarsthatshine.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/liebster-award.html?showComment=1377355145779#c892798866532723191

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your blog so i nominated you for the Liebster award, details are on my page :-)xx

    DayDreamingEllie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete