Tuesday, 20 August 2013

Birchbox August 2013 Unboxing!

Hey everyone,
 
 
I did order a box with Birchbox probably 6-8 months ago and also ordered a Glossybox at the same time, because I preferred the contents in my Glossybox, I decided to keep that subscription and cancel the Birchbox. But after seeing they had free delivery on boxes, meaning it would only cost me £10 instead of £12.95 and that they were collaberating with InStyle, I knew I had to order the August Birchbox. I received this box last week and it is such good value for money.

 
This was my first peek of the contents inside, I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of products in this box! Birchbox comes in a hard box then inside is a drawstring bag with all your goodies inside. It also comes with a little magazine that is such a nice touch and actually includes some really good information about some lovely products.
 
 
I think these bags are so handy, literally anyone can find a use for them! They're a great addition to the box.

 
So, here's what I got, 7 items in total, really good for a beauty box :)

 
Propercorn Lightly Sea Salted Popcorn:
 
I really like sweet popcorn so I probably won't like these but I'll try! This is included in the box as a 'lifestyle extra' which I think is a great idea. These little bags of popcorn retail at 90p each and come in other flavours too. I have never tried these before, but I'm sure I've seen them in shops.
 

Gerda Spillman Hydro Pearls Primer:
 
This is a 10ml sample of a primer that full size retails at £30. I don't know anything about Gerda Spillman except that they are a Swiss brand. This is described as a moisture lotion, so obviously a hydrating primer, which is great for my skin. Birchbox says, if you have normal or oily skin, to use this in place of a moisturiser, but if you have dry skin, to moisturise, then apply this primer and follow with your foundation. I am interested to try this out and think 10ml is a good size for a primer sample.


 
Bluemandarines SkinLife Energetic Cellular Cream:
 
This is a 10ml sample and full size retails at £35. I have never heard of this brand but know they are Spanish. This is a face cream that's described as a light peptide-packed cream which brightens, refreshes and protects skin for use AM and PM after cleansing. It is also described as having a redensifying and toning effect. If I'm honest I'm not really keen on the 10ml samples of skincare, I don't think that is large enough for you to work out whether it is for you or not. I will definitely use this, but I highly doubt I would be repurchasing. The worst is tiny cleanser/toner samples, so I'm really glad I didn't get one of those in this box!

 
Montibel.lo Gold Oil Essence:
 
This is a 30ml sample, full size retails at £22. This is an amber and argan oil for use on your hair. I have never heard of amber oil, so I am really intrigued with this product and think it is a very decent size sample when you think you probably only need to use a few drops. You can use it on damp or dry hair to smooth and soften, tame flyaways and to generally make damaged hair look and feel a lot healthier. I don't have anything like this, so I am very pleased they included this in the box and cannot wait to try it! I have never heard of this brand either, beauty boxes are such a great way to discover brands.

 
Molton Brown Ylang-Ylang Body Wash:
 
Finally a brand I have heard of! I have never tried anything Molton Brown, but know they are highly recommended. This sample is 30ml which is pretty generous and full size retails at £18. I cannot wait to try this, it smells lovely and I love trying new body washes. This was an InStyle pick and I think they did a great job picking a well known and popular brand.


 
LAQA & Co. Lip Pencil in Ring of Fire:
 
Another brand I have heard of but never tried, and another InStyle pick, it was a great idea for Birchbox to partner wih InStyle for this box, because in my opinion, their picks were the most exciting additions to the box! This is a small version and the full size retails at £14. I really like the colour and will definitely use this, the only thing is the packaging is so flimsy, it rattles when you pick it up and the twist up feature is so loose, you know if you left it in your handbag it would get twisted to its full capacity and smoosh itself on the lid, so I've got to be careful with this one!

 
Birchbox Gel Mask:
 
Lastly, they included a 'beauty extra', another great idea to finish off a wonderful box. This retails at £10 on the Birchbox online store. This gel mask is designed to cool the eye area and decrease puffiness, you just put it in the fridge overnight and use first thing in the morning. I will definitely use this, I think it will be so relaxing!
 
Overall, I think this was a great beauty box, packed full of exciting samples and goodies to try. I do think that Birchbox don't include many make up products in their boxes, which are my favourites and in this box there wasn't one full size product, which I would have liked to have seen. But I do think this box was excellent value for money and I will use everything in it, so I am very impressed! :) Well done, Birchbox and InStyle for creating such a wonderful box!
 
On the same day, my Fiance brought me these beautiful flowers, he's such a cutie :) Love him to pieces!

 
 Thanks for reading!

What do you think of this month's Birchbox?

Emily :) x

16 comments:

  1. I loved this box, some really great products! Especially the lip pencil! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agree, I was really impressed :) xxx

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of the birchbox cooling eye mask, definitely something i would want to try, ive been put off of the idea of going for glossybox/birchbox as ive heard so many bad things about them, but this box looks worth the money to me :)

    Lovely blog, would love you to follow mine back.

    www.frankiebooxx.blogspot.co.uk

    Frankie xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me too! I will definitely be trying it out soon :) It was definitely worth the money, especially when I saved on postage :)

      xxx

      Delete
  3. This box looks great. I've never got one before but I'm really coming round to the idea! xx

    Essie | The Li'l Sparrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely box! I'm definitely a fan of beauty boxes, but some can be a waste of money! xxx

      Delete
  4. Looks like you got some great stuff to try out. I would have got the InStyle box too. Love that magazine! Alas, Birchbox isn't available yet where I live :(

    Jenna ♥ ♥
    Northernbeauty856.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did, can't wait to try it all out :)

      Ah, that's such a shame, hate when things aren't available :( xxx

      Delete
  5. ooh i'd be happy to try the gold oil and lip crayon! it seems birchbox has finally come out with a good box this month - i've been keeping up with reviews and the last couple had me a little worried

    xx
    Natalie | Salt & Sail

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agree, I've seen some Birchboxs that really don't look worth the money, with tiny little skincare samples that cost the earth to repurchase full size.
      xxx

      Delete
  6. Hey Emily! I love reading your blog and I've recently been nominated for the liebster award. I now have to nominate a further 11 people and because I love your blog so much, I've chosen you! Go over to my blog http://sparksofserenity.blogspot.co.uk/ for more details on what to do next. Charlotte x

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely things yuve got
    xoxo
    http://randommonchi.blogspot.com.ar

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, thanks for sharing!:)

    I'm running a giveaway on my blog at the moment if you want to check it out..

    http://polkaanddots.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/100-followers-giveaway.html

    Hugs, Brittany, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will definitely check out your giveaway :) xxx

      Delete