Tuesday, 2 July 2013

My Real Techniques Brushes Finally Arrived From iHerb (America) - First Impressions!

Hey everyone,
 
At the beginning of June I ordered some Real Techniques brushes from an American company called iHerb, as the prices were so much cheaper and they finally arrived last week!
 
I have heard so many great things about these brushes and definitely knew I had to try them for myself. I already own the Real Techniques foundation brush, but I found it used quite alot of product when applying my foundation, so I use a Lancome foundation brush instead and that is perfect. The Real Techniques one does give a really lovely finish though, so that's another reason I knew I would have to try them!
 
 
So, here's what I got! They do have some other brushes too, but these were the ones I knew I'd get most use out of.
 
 
(Left to right - stippling brush, blush brush & powder brush)
 
Stippling Brush:
iHerb price: $9.99 (£6.59) Boots price: £11.99
 
This brush is for creating a flawless finish with foundation, blusher, bronzer etc (list goes on)! I plan to use mine for foundation to help get that airbrushed look we all crave! I am new to stippling brushes so I think this will take some getting used to.
 
Blush Brush:
iHerb price: $8.99 (£5.95) Boots price: £9.99
 
This brush is obviously for applying blusher, but also works for powder and bronzer too. I bought this as I don't actually own a blush brush, I usually juse use the one that comes in the compact, but since using this, I will never use the brushes in the compacts again! This brush is super soft and so dense. It is really easy to create a flawless look and makes blending a completely effortless task. I love this brush!
 
Powder Brush:
iHerb price: $9.99 (£6.59) Boots price: £12.99
 
This brush is for applying powders, loose or pressed and can also be used for mineral foundations. I go through stages with powder, sometimes I really strive for that matte finish, so go reaching for my powder and other times I prefer a more dewy finish. I mostly use loose powders and predominantly translucent ones too (I really like the e.l.f High Definition Powder - for the price its amazing)! This brush is ridiculously soft and amazingly dense, really exceptional quality for the money.
 
 
Base: Core Collection Kit:
(Left to right - contour brush, pointed foundation brush, detailer brush & buffing brush)
iHerb price: $17.99 (£11.87) Boots price: £21.99
 
This kit comes in a handy travel pouch that also doubles up as a stand, I have removed them from this to keep with my other brushes, but I will definitely keep the case. These brushes are all full size and are all based on application of your 'base' products.
 
Contour Brush:
The contour brush is for applying highlighter or contour powder and isn't as dense as some of the other brushes, but still very soft. I plan on getting the Sleek Contour Kit soon, so will definitely test the two out together.
 
Pointed Foundation Brush:
This is for use with liquid foundation and I assume, because it is considerably smaller than a standard foundation brush, that you wouldn't use this brush alone to apply foundation to your whole face. I personally would use it around my eyes.
 
Detailer Brush:
This is for use as a concealer brush, but also could be used to apply lipstick. I will definitely use this for concealer, it gives a much nicer finish than using your finger, in my opinion.
 
Buffing Brush:
This is described as being ideal for full coverage application for powder and mineral foundation. I don't use these, so I would probably use this just to work the product in and  after applying my liquid foundation and I also think this would be good for blending out blushes and bronzers.
 
 
Eyes: Starter Kit:
(Left to right: deluxe crease brush, base shadow brush, accent brush, pixel-point eyeliner brush & brow brush)
iHerb price: $17.99 (£11.87) Boots price: £21.99
 
These set features five brushes all for use on the eyes/eyebrows and they are all full size. Again, it comes in a travel pouch that doubles up as a stand, like the core collection.
 
Deluxe Crease Brush:
This brush's soft, oversized design is to make 'contouring effortless'. I'm sure this brush's density and size will make blending eyeshadow into the crease really easy. A lot of people actually use this to apply concealers, so I will definitely try it out with a concealer too.
 
Base Shadow Brush:
This is just for the standard application of eyeshadow on the whole of the eyelid, its nice and fluffy, so perfect for blending and working the product into the eyelid. I have tried this out and found it really easy to use and the brush also picked up plenty of eyeshadow. I usually just use one neutral shade of eyeshadow up to my crease (i'm not very creative when it comes to eyeshadow, but I definitely want to change that), and this works perfectly for that.
 
Accent Brush:
This brush is designed for 'precision detailing, spotlighting, highlighting and smudging'. I will use this to apply a lighter eyeshadow to the inner corners of the eye to brighten them up.
 
Pixel-Point Eyeliner Brush:
'The tapered cut is ideal for dense or fine eyeliner application'. I probably won't use this brush, as I pretty much always use liquid eyeliner, but I just use the applicators they come with.
 
Brow Brush:
The brow brush is angled for easy application of brow powder or wax. I use a wax, as I don't find the powder has much effect on my eyebrows and I think this brush will be perfect for applying that. I think this will also be good for applying a very dark eyeshadow just above the eyelashes as an alternative to eyeliner.
 
So, that's all the brushes and my first impressions of them! I don't have many makeup brushes at all and I actually had to look up the uses for some of these brushes as I had no idea! I think the brushes I will get most use out of are the blusher brush, the buffing brush and the base shadow brush. I am really looking forward to getting more creative with my eyeshadows now I have all these new brushes to help with application!
 
In total these brushes came to: $65.80 (£43.43), but I also got some discounts:
'$10 off your first order over $40' & '5% off any spend'.
Which gave me a discount of $14.15, which brought my total to $51.65 (£34.09)!
 
But then there was the delivery charge, I chose to have it delivered by international airmail with tracking, as I knew with my luck it would get lost in the post, this was an additional $8 (£5.28), there was an alternate delivery option which was free but you couldn't track the parcel. Next time I will definitely use the free option though, as in the three weeks it took to come here, the tracking only updated twice.
 
So, in total with delivery, I paid: $59.65 (£39.37), but I also got charged by customs (typical, I always bloody do!) and that charge was £14.84! In the end, I payed £53.76 in total which was still a saving of £25.19, if I had bought from Boots!
 
 
They also put in some freebies, some organic gummy bear sweets, an organic lip balm and a mini iHerb highlighter.
 
If you are interested in getting the Real Techniques brushes at a discounted price, head on over to iHerb!
 
Thanks for reading!
 
What is your favourite Real Techniques brush? Any tips on how to get the best use out of these brushes would be greatly appreciated also! :)
 
Emily :) x
 
 
 


26 comments:

  1. What a haul of brushes! They look gorgeous and great quality :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I couldn't resist buying so many at that price! :) xxx

      Delete
  2. I really want to get my hands on these brushes! I love their packaging! Great Post xx Rena

    Kiss and Make Up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well from the ones I've tried I'd say they are 100% worth getting! :) Thanks! :) xxx

      Delete
  3. What an awesome haul! I love Real Techniques brushes... Especially the Blush Brush for bronzer!

    Sarah
    Eyeshadow Addicts Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've only tried it for blush as I seem to be wearing that more lately, but I will definitely try it with a bronzer :)It works perfectly with a blush, so I'm really happy with that brush! xxx

      Delete
  4. ah thank you so much for this! i love the real technique brushes (i think the expert face brush is brilliant for applying foundation) but i can't afford all of the ones i'd like in boots, so this is great!

    life-of-libby.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! They're such good quality for the price! :) They do take a while to get here but its worth the wait! xxx

      Delete
  5. I have most of the RT brushes, and I love them. I use the blush, expert face, and deluxe crease brushes daily. I love the expert face brush for my foundation and the detailer brush for blending in my concealer. The blush brush I use for blush, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blush brush is brilliant, I love it! I will have to pick up that expert face brush soon, always looking out for good foundation brushes :D xxx

      Delete
  6. this is on my list :) thanks for sharing the detailed pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. iHerb is where I ordered my Real Techniques Expert Face Brush from! I definitely plan on buying more of these brushes from there too! I especially have my eye on the Blush Brush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have such good prices, I just wish I didn't get charged by customs! The blush brush is lovely, I really recommend it! :) xxx

      Delete
  8. Going to have to check out this website! Been wanting some Real Technique brushes!

    spotthebeauty.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth checking out, I don't think anywhere beats their prices! :) xxx

      Delete
  9. I was really tempted to buy from iHerb but I was so scared of customs, so I just got mine from Boots instead. You still got an amazing bargain though, I'm jealous!

    // DUSTERKNUCKLES //

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think about customs until after I ordered then I knew I would definitely get charged! I've been charged about £50 by customs when I ordered a bag from America once, oops :/ If I buy any more RT brushes, I will definitely just get them from Boots! :) xxx

      Delete
  10. I'm planning on buying from iherb soon. A lot of people have said that if your order costs £15 then you miss out on customs.

    Thosestarsthatshine.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its so much cheaper to get from iherb :) I always get caught by customs! Xx

      Delete
  11. Were you charged extra by customs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was charged £14.84 by customs! xxx

      Delete
  12. Loved your collection, not sure which is the right one, this brush looks a bit different on iherb site:
    http://iherb.com/Real-Techniques-by-Samantha-Chapman-Your-Base-Flawless-Core-Collection-4-Brushes-Case/41367?rcode=PPT610

    Is it the same one you bought?

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved your collection, not sure which is the right one, this brush looks a bit different on iherb site:
    http://iherb.com/Real-Techniques-by-Samantha-Chapman-Your-Base-Flawless-Core-Collection-4-Brushes-Case/41367?rcode=PPT610

    Is it the same one you bought?

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. my favorite Real Techniques brush is the blush brush, I use it for powder, blush, and contour it's so nice for smooth blending, highly recommend it!
    اي هيرب بالعربي

    ReplyDelete